- This event has passed.
Know Your Home: NATURAL DYE SCREEN PRINT WORKSHOP
March 14 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
NATURAL DYE SCREEN PRINT WORKSHOP FOR RCA STUDENTS
led by Florence Hawkins
14th March 2019 11am-4pm
Sign up here
The workshop will focus on the exploration of natural colours in nature and how to extract dyes from kitchen waste and plant matter. How to extract colours? How to furthermore transform colours using alkaline and acidic modifiers?
What are the possibilities of screen printing with the colours produced and how to make a paste for it?
11am-1pm: RCA Intaglio Print Studio
*Introduction to natural dyes. H&S
– Equipment (materials and tools)
– Suitable paper to use (eg.Somerset)
– Mordants (alum)
* Extracting colours from vegetable/ fruit/ plant matter
Participants are invited to bring any of the followings:
– red onions peels
– white onions peels
– red cabbage
– carrots leaves
– avocado stones
– pomegranate skin
* Observing the different colours produced in the dye bath. Dip and dye paper swatches.
* Experimenting with different dye baths.
* Use modifiers to explore the possibilities of tones and change of colour (eg. Lemon, soda crystal, iron).
* Start preparing paste for screen printing.
2-4pm: RCA Screen Print Studio
* Finish preparing paste for screen printing. How to modify original colour using modifiers.
* Cut out paper stencil. Screen printing on paper using 55T screen mesh open window.
Participants will have the opportunity to screen print their own design with the natural dye paste they have produced, exploring overlaying colours and how colours react with each other.